Project Labor Agreements
Local 478 and its members recognize the value of a Project Labor Agreement (PLAs) Or Community Workforce Agreements: These agreements are pre-negotiated, pre-hire collective bargaining agreement that determine working conditions and standards on large building projects. Project Labor Agreement (PLAs) or Community Workforce Agreements:
- Set clear expectations for all parties involved on a major project and help encourage a team-like atmosphere that allows for open and ongoing communication among parties
- Eliminate uncertainty with respect to labor for the life of the project by establishing binding procedures that resolve all labor disputes and assure productive labor relations
- Allow owners to tailor agreements to local conditions and the special needs of the projects
- Promote hiring a representative workforce from a community, which encourages hiring local residents, minorities, and women, allowing apprentice opportunities
- Offer contractors immediate access to a skilled workforce
- PLA's have been used successfully during construction of many projects around the state including Yale-New Haven Children’s hospital / Cancer Center, Yale University Capitol projects, Schools in New Haven / Bridgeport / Hartford / Waterbury / Killingly, St. Francis Hospital, West Farms Mall, and Rentschler Field to mention a few.