Login to Portal

Forgot your password? Click here.

Don’t have an account? Click here.


Applying for Benefits


The first step in applying for a pension benefit is to request, in writing or by phone, a Pension Application Form from the Fund Office at the address or telephone number below. If you are applying for a disability pension, you must indicate this in your request.

International Union of Operating Engineers (IUOE) Local No. 478 Pension Fund
1965 Dixwell Avenue
Hamden, CT 06514-2400
Phone: 866-288-9261 ex 274

When the Fund Office receives your request for a pension application, it will send you a self-explanatory Pension Application Form and an explanation of the pension payment options.

You must answer all questions on the Pension Application Form, and sign and date it. Should you require any assistance in completing your Pension Application Form, please contact the Fund Office.

You have the right to review the explanation of payment options for at least 45 days before the date your pension becomes effective. If you are married and you wish to elect a payment option other than the joint and survivor pension, your election must be made in the 180 days before the date your pension is to be effective to be valid (this is also the period in which you can revoke a previous election.)

An incomplete application will be returned to you, and this could result in a delay of your pension benefits.

Processing of Your Application
When the Fund Office receives your completed Pension Application Form and all required supporting documents, we will research and verify your pension credits. You must submit your application at least 45 days prior to your effective date of retirement.

Payment of a disability pension cannot begin until the later of either the first day of the month following five full calendar months after the initial date of disability, or the first of the month that is two full months after your application for benefits has been approved.

Only the Board of Trustees is authorized to approve a pension benefit.

Application for Death Benefits
Your surviving spouse or children or designated beneficiary must file an application for death benefits with the Board of Trustees on a form furnished by the Fund Office, along with any required supporting documentation. They should obtain an application from the Fund Office immediately after your death so that payments may begin as soon as possible.