About Local 478 - History
Our Union began like most of the trade unions began. A group of workers realized that working together collectively gave them much more influence over their working conditions and pay than they had when they negotiated individually.
The eighteen original members that banded together were issued a charter to form Local 478 on September 7, 1911 by the International Union of Steam Engineers, the predecessor of the present day International Union of Operating Engineers. That was followed by additional charters to cover the various skills and crafts of the members of this local union, and they together make up what is today known as "Local 478."
- October 1, 1933: Local 478B Charter
- December 12, 1938: Hoisting and Portable Charter
- June 1, 1939: Journeyman and Apprentice Charter
- June 12, 1939: Local 478C Charter
- September 1, 1960: 478D Charter
- April 1, 1981: 478E Charter